Thursday, June 21, 2012 | By: Unknown

A Trip to Whole Foods {First Trip as a Vegetarian}

My first trip to Whole Foods as a vegetarian was like walking into a foreign country, not speaking the language and trying to find my way to the local park. Yet everything was so new that is was still fun and exciting all the same.
It felt almost like a cult. Everyone there drove small compact cars, were very thin, wore flip flops or some sort of grass article of clothing and seemed to know exactly what they were looking for.
This of course is quite a broad (and maybe sort of slightly exaggerated) generalization but it still seemed like this all the same. ;D
I liked it. I have been there before but I kind of saw it in a new light this time.
What I really loved about Whole Foods was how the produce was so FRESH with brilliant colors!
I really couldn't believe it. I have never seen such nice produce before (especially for organic) and the prices were not outrageous. It was more expensive but well worth it I think.
Whole Foods really had anything I could need to eat a wide variety of healthy and vegetarian foods, except cashew cream....apparently it is not as common an ingredient as recipes and audiobooks would have me believe because no one had any idea what I was talking about. It's all good. I will just get to make my own. :) The employees there were very nice and helpful too!

See the spoils


Looks amazing! Doesn't it?! Mostly fresh fruits and vegetables with a few other things such as vegetable broth, raw cashews, spirulina and sesame sticks.....just because those are delicious.

I learned a few more things today.
I have never used fennel (I have tasted it and it's really not one of my favorite flavors). I only got it because a recipe I have uses fennel and I thought, "Why not? Let's give her a try."
Well here it is.
Weird looking little bugger isn't it?


It's basically a big ol' root with spidery green foliage.
I also had no idea what kale looked like until I found some and realized I have seen it a lot and just never knew it was kale. Good times.

The nectarines were tasty.... I'm excited to dig in!

5 comments:

MJ, Dad and Nicholas said...

Sara (and followers) promise me you will watch this youtube piece called "getting real in the Whole Foods parking lot" - now that you have joined our world as a Whole Foods shopper you will truly appreciate the humor and wit! (actually you would have appreciated it beforehand because it is quite creative - but now it will have deeper irony!) - good job on the produce purchase! xo

MJ Dad and Nicholas said...

Here is the link....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UFc1pr2yUU

Unknown said...

Haha! That's pretty funny. =D $80 for 6 things isn't lying!

Camille said...

I felt that way when I went into Salt Lake Running Co. with my mom...never felt more out of place in my life! ;) Sounds like a fun adventure!!

Britt said...

It might make menu planning more challenging but when you order a Bountiful Basket there is an option to get an organic basket. Just a $ saving idea.