Saturday, June 16, 2012 | By: Unknown

Magnetic Makeup Board

I finally got sick of having to dump my bin of makeup out on the counter to find what I want so I decided to make some good use of my medicine cabinet and make it look a bit better too.
 It was really easy and now it looks nice. I just put up some contact paper that I found at Target on the back of my metal medicine cabinet door. 
Just cut off a rough estimate of what is need to cover the door. Peel the backing from one of the short sides of the rectangle down a few inches and place that edge against the top of the door and as straight as you can pulling taught so you minimize the bubbles. Then using a flat surface (I used an unopened package of mascara because it was right there) press the contact paper onto the door in short strokes downward. Continue to peel the backing off of the contact paper from the bottom and lay against the door. Finish off by using your flat surface over all the paper. If you get a bubble, take a small needle and poke a hole to let the air escape and then press it flat.
Once done, take a razor and cut along the edge of the door to cut away the excess contact paper in a nice straight line.
This patterned contact paper is very forgiving. I have a few small bubbles and wrinkles in the paper but I dare you to find them. A solid color would be much more noticeable so you would need to be very careful. I don't dare yet until I get better at this.

For my makeup brushes, I took the extra piece of contact paper that I cut off the edge originally and wrapped it around a prescription medicine bottle. Voila.

 I also used some of the extra paper to do a little accent strip on the bottom of my cabinet. That finished it off nicely.


I think it would be cute to do a little white or black border to look like a frame on the door.

So after you do the contact paper, you can put magnets on your makeup.
I bought these Cool Magnets from amazon and they work great. My local Joann's craft store didn't have any. Weird.
I used a hot glue gun to glue a magnet to each of my makeup tools and let them cool. I put 2 magnets on my makeup brush container. They won't adhere to slick plastic containers though.


Sure beats this.


0 comments: