Wednesday, April 25, 2012 | By: Unknown

Today's Exercise and Laser Hair Removal

Today I am taking it easy since I don't have time and I am really sore from those lunges 2 days ago...
(Don't do 80 lunges in a day if you have never done them before. ha.)
Live and learn!
For Today's Exercise I am repeating that last ab video I posted on 4/23/12.
Just something very mild to keep me in the "go" habit but nothing crazy since I gotta run (...not literally).


Here is another super super quick exercise.
SIDE BENDS
They work your abs/obliques. You can do these every day if you want. They are fast and pretty simple. Basically you just stand straight and then bend to the side keeping your back straight and aligned with your legs. No twisting. Reach as far down the side of your leg as you can until you meet resistance. You will feel some stretching on your opposite side. Don't go overboard. Hold it for a few seconds. Your muscles are working even though you may not feel it. Repeat this on the other side. Do a total of 30 (15 on each side). Add weight to it as shown in the video for more sculpting.
This exercise is supposed to help you "gain" a waistline if you don't have one. :) We'll see.
I am getting a waist now (not from these) since I have been doing more toning and running.
It's great to see results!



Next Segment:
Laser Hair Removal
Dang, it hurts! 
I bought two of those Groupons for cheap hair removal and it was definitely worth it.
The pain sucks but only lasts for your 5-10 minute session and you really only need about 6-10 sessions per area most of the time. It is effective even with the first treatment. It feels like you are getting pinched or someone is ripping you hair out. I would probably compare it to waxing except a bit warmer (hotter towards the end) and over and over again, one small patch at a time.
I'm a fan. Too bad it has to hurt at all.
No pain, no gain I guess.
I am having mine done at 2 different places:
Lisse Laser Medical Spa in Salt Lake for my lower legs and knees
New Day Spa for my underarms



{Lisse Laser Review}
Lisse Laser and Aesthetics Treatment Center
470 East 3900 South
Salt Lake City, Utah 84107

Lisse Laser provides a wide range of services including laser hair removal, various skin treatments, messages, and more. It was developed by a Mayo Clinic trained physician who employs aestheticians and laser technicians that work under him. I have not seen him in the facility at all (usually they are not, I just thought I would mention it). Lisse Laser is very busy, which is a good and bad thing. It has been a bit of a challenge to schedule an appointment that fits my schedule. They are usually months out, which poses a problem if you have to reschedule for any reason, which I have had to do twice now. One time I was able to sneak into a canceled spot later in the week and the other time I just had to wait a few weeks and get the treatment late.
The facility is very nice and I was impressed with the well-maintained decor and atmosphere. It was very clean but also comfortable. I thought they did a really good job of balancing the two. It felt more like a clean medical space than a 'spa', but for good reason because that is their specialty. They really are not a 'spa'.
They are expanding into more rooms into the back of the building and one time I got lost trying to find my way back up to the front desk after a session. I blame myself but a sign or two of the location of the front desk would have definitely been welcome. :) (My technician eventually found me peaking through all the doors- haha)
The first person that did my legs was absolutely amazing (I believe her name was Amanda). She was super friendly and explained everything that I wanted to know and more. She was comfortably social (we all know those uncomfortably social people) and I quite liked her. I saw myself going back to get treatments from her for other things but she has since left. The rest of the staff is pretty friendly as well but sometimes they seem a bit frazzled by how busy they are. They just have the "I'm a chain or franchise" vibe about them rather than a personal spa vibe (which is what I like more). Friendliness and bedside manner is hugely important for me when choosing where I go for these types of services.
They just added a new piece of laser equipment so it appears that they stay up with the latest technology. Everything looked very safe and well-kept so I feel very comfortable receiving my laser hair removal from there. For the actual treatments, the technicians seemed to know what they were doing and did a great job. They do a good job in assessing if they need to turn the settings down if it hurts too much.
They do have a website but it is not very useful at this time as it does not provide any information about services. It is mostly for contact information and a little bit about the staff and physician. It looks like they are renovating the website though so I would assume they will be adding this information.
Overall it was a good experience but I probably won't be going back there because, first, it is far away from where I live and, second, I have just not been super impressed after going a few more times. I will keep looking for a better fit for me for future treatments and hopefully a bit closer to my home.


{A New Day Spa Review}
A New Day Spa
 3975 South Highland Drive
Salt Lake City, UT 84124

A New Day Spa provides full service spa treatments. When I think of 'spa', this is what I think of (minus the mud bath.... I don't think they do those). They do hot stones, massages, facials, hair and nail salon services, etc.
First off I have to say I love their website (click on the 'A New Day Spa' link above). It is so relaxing and professional. I was definitely impressed with it when I check it out before I bought the groupon. It looks so cozy. Makes me want to go get a massage and some hot stones! It provides explanations of their services in detail, which I think is a really nice touch for those of us that don't know what the heck a 'Joava Body Wrap' is. It even has lots of pictures! They did a great job designing it. 5 out of 5 for sure.
 Scheduling was really easy. I have never had a problem scheduling (or rescheduling) with them. I even called just a few hours before one of my appointments to cancel because I wasn't feeling well and they were totally fine with it! They rescheduled me and wished me to get well! It was so nice. :)
On my first visit to the facility I was a little surprised by the atmosphere. It was nothing like the website. You can tell they were going for the 'new day' style with cement style floor and brick walls along with the other decor but it just didn't come together. It felt a bit cluttered with the dark colors and decorations that were around. It wasn't 'dirty' but it didn't seem well-maintained. I waited about 5 minutes for my appointment and she took me back into the laser room. The building just seemed a bit haphazard with the decor. Some areas had the 'relaxation' vibe attempt while others did not. It wasn't consistent. I now know that they are in the process of 'renovating' and moving into another portion of the building. My last couple visits were in the new area and it felt much more cohesive so they are going in the right direction.
 The staff is friendly and it feels a bit more personal than Lisse Laser did in a way but they seem to be much more friendly with 'the regulars' than new customers. On my first appointment, she did not explain anything to me about the process of laser hair removal like I got at Lisse Laser.
She did explain what she was doing when she did it though, such as putting on the gel. She explained what I might feel and how the right arm usually hurts worse than the left. Every time I have gone in, the gel gets ALL over. It gets all over my shirt and the first time I went in it got on the pillow and then onto my hair. yuck. That's not fun. They probably could have tried a little better to not get it all over the place. (Now I just tuck my hair way out of the way.)
The procedure for the arms only lasts like 5 minutes and it hurts but it is tolerable.
I am not sure how often or well they maintain their equipment but just by the looks of the rest of the spa, it makes me wonder a little bit. Everything has worked just fine so far and it is working so I can't make a judgement on that really.
The only thing that came to my head after my first visit was "sketchy" but as I have gone and gotten more comfortable with everything I have gotten used to their style. They are very casual and laid back which can create a relaxing atmosphere but to me it seems a bit too casual for first-timers at the spa and it comes across as indifference to me.
Overall, I was fine with the experience but I likely will not be going back for a few reasons. Again, it is far from my house and it did not impress me enough to come this far. The staff just didn't seem extremely professional. It felt more like a family business where they just learn as they go. This is likely just the casual atmosphere talking but I prefer it to be a little more professional personally. I think you can be warm and welcoming as well as appear very professional (like Amanda from Lisse)
It was definitely worth the Groupon though for laser hair removal on my underarms. I will let you know how well it works at the end of my sessions. If I was in the area and just wanted a pedicure or something, I would probably go and try it out but I won't be getting more laser hair removal from there.

Well, hopefully this was somewhat helpful for you.
Let me know if you have any other questions about these places.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The abdominal exercise also assist in the breathing process and they have a direct influence on body posture. Developing a strong core is extremely important for creating and maintaining a healthy spine. As you get older, this is crucial to living a healthy and pain free life.

Unknown said...

True!