Monday, August 31, 2009 | By: Sara

Magic Acid

Have you ever had the fun experience of trying to clean off water spots from your shower door? If you think like me you would say it's harder than digging up an Ent from middle Earth.
Well, a little bird named aspen told me the secret weapon to use. Vinegar. At first I thought, "Sure, it may work on your hard water deposits, but my deposits are different. There's no way it can work that well."
So indeed I tried it because my now-opaque glass doors were really starting to bug. I put some vinegar in a spray bottle, marked it vinegar so I didn't try to spray it in my mouth like I did as a child, and grabbed some wash cloths. I sprayed and started wiping and thought, "see it isn't going to work that well." I cleaned the whole door cuz' I'm no quitter and it was a little better but still not very clear. Then I decided to clean the other side just for fun. I did that and all of a sudden I heard angels singing and a light appeared from above. I looked at my door and couldn't believe the metamorphosis it had made in merely seconds. I was so excited I took pictures before and after on another part of glass. I had to wait before I cleaned the rest so ben could see the difference it made!
BEFORE


BEFORE ------------> AFTER

Look at that reflection!
DISCLAIMER: You may not want your glass this clean! Animals (or children) may try to walk through it repeatedly.

So, instinct tells me to ask, "What else can it do?!"


I will tell you now that it can remove stains and make porcelain shine! If you soak a paper towel in vinegar and place it over a hardwater-ring inside the toilet overnight, in the morning, no more ring. Oila!
Like I always say, If it can clean porcelain....it can clean anything. (I don't recommend wood ;P)

So,
Goodbye 409.
Goodbye Scrubbing Bubbles.
Goodbye Comet.

HELLO.......MAGIC ACID.
:D

If you have any more amazing tips like these.....come on ladies! Share the love!

6 comments:

MJ said...

Now you will understand why we have an old Windex spray bottle marked "white vinegar" in our cabinet under the sink. Sydra - our housecleaner - insists that it is the best for mirrors. If you want another cleaning tip - never wash off your mirrors or glass with lights on. The heat alters it and can leave it foggy or striped. Do it with the lights off and you will have better results. There's some love for you!

Emily said...

Wow, that is amazing - I had forgotten that my mom used to clean everything with vinegar. When we were supposed to mop the floors, it was always a bucket of hot water and vinegar :) My trick of late is to have Dave do everything - he he he - he gets all kinds of stains and messes clean! FYI though, we just invested in a squeegee (sp??) and that helps keep the glass A LOT cleaner in our shower.

MJ said...

Excellent point Emily - prevention is the best medicine!! xoxo Hope you are well!

Britt said...

I use vinegar everywhere...well almost. Niel doesn't love the smell, but it's just awesome because not only is it more echo friendly and safe for your family than a lot of those other chemical cleaners...you can get ginormous amounts of it at costco and its super cheap compared.
Bytheway...congrats on the new house. When do you move?

Aspen said...

I feel so helpful! I'm glad you decided - despite your skepticism - to try out my tip. Jasper ran into our glass door the other day! If that isn't a recommendation for vinegar, the nothing is ;)

Sara said...

Yes, we did invest in a squigee but it still isn't clear enough for a bird to fly through. Lady ran into the door it was so spic-n-span! It is darn cheap and that's why I love it!
We are scheduled to move into the new home on Sep 25th! Wahoo!