Tuesday, September 16, 2008 | By: Sara

Sushi Smushi.....Literally.


So, my preceptor took me with him to a drug rep lunch at Happy Sumo.

First off, I had no idea there were that many types of sushi.
Second, I don't care for sushi... and here is why...

I mean, the sushi was alright but I just won't ever buy it for myself. The "best" kind was a tempura tuna thingy with some sort of orange sauce on it... I know... you must be thinking I have an amazing palate. To be honest, I am happy with mac-n-cheese with hot dogs cut up in it. Anyway, I felt so stupid because both he and the drug rep were teaching me how to mix up the wasabe/soy stuff and eat sushi.
Disclaimer: I have a small mouth (contrary to popular belief). This is extremely incompatible with eating sushi. The second bite of sushi almost gagged me. I literally was thinking to myself... "What do I do if I puke all over the table? Will I fail my rotation?"
I have excellent gag reflexes- if anything touches the back of my throat... it is out of there in less than 2 seconds. My eyes started watering as I did everything in my power to just chew up this large piece of slimy raw fishy stuff that was completely filling my mouth. When I say completely fill my mouth... I mean COMPLETELY! I honestly don't know how I got out of that situation without embarassing myself. Anyway, enough of that. I just thought you all would care. :)

I also tried some fish eggs... disgusting! :) (They really do pop in your mouth... blagh...)
... And don't worry...I am definitely not turning japanese!

9 comments:

J and L said...

Ah, sushi! How I miss thee...
It takes a lot of practice to master the over-full sushi mouth. I know, I've been there (watering eyes and all)! But its also a texture thing with me when it comes to the gag reflex. I go for sushi rolls over sashimi or nigiri any day just because of the texture. My fav? Spicy tuna without the fish eggs and anything tempura.
I think you would like eel rolls. They are totally cooked and have a teriyaki sauce on them so they are sweet. And eel really does taste like chicken. :)

Daniel Schneider said...

Mmmmmmmmm... hot dogs and mac-n-cheese - that's certainly better than Happy Sumo. That place is not good.

Sara said...

We didn't have sashimi this time. I have had that before and didn't care for that texture much at all either.
I just don't care for the fishy taste or the texture. There are much better things out there to spend my money on, like mac-n-cheese with hotdogs- or if you want to get really fancy... kielbasa! :)

Emily said...

uh - yeah! I feel the exact same way about sushi - it's just icky and hard not to activate the gag reflex!

Good for you for swallowing :)

EMILY

J and L said...

Happy Sumo? Yeah, that place sucks. Save your $$ and go upstairs to the Hotdog on a Stick!
Tsunami in Sugar House is way better...

Daniel Schneider said...

I haven't found good sushi in Utah yet. Surprisingly, the best I have found, outside of Japan, is in Baton Rouge.

Sara said...

Honestly.... I LOVE Hotdog-On-A-Stick! I have no idea why but my taste buds are definitely drawn to it... I almost got one in Pleasanton. I also love theri lemonade....cuz it tastes like their corndogs!

J and L said...

I love it! Yeah, Hotdog on a Stick is awesome! They must "put an addictive chemical in it that makes you crave it fortnightly"...

Name the movie thats from and I'll send you some Oreos... :)

Sara said...

So I Married an Axe Murderer- of course!