Friday, March 16, 2012 | By: Unknown

Running

Running.
Sounds simple.
I thought it was until I started researching (what the heck is a neutral foot?!)
It has been a lot of fun to learn about running actually.
I learned a ton from the Salt Lake Running Company. I went to the store on 700 East just south of I80 and was helped by Elizabeth. She was amazing! When you want to buy a running shoe I would highly recommend you go to one of the Salt Lake Running Company stores. They do a free analysis where they give you a neutral shoe (no supports) and they film you running. They analyze your gait and decide what kind of support you need in your shoe.
She explained that the shoe should basically feel like it isn't there.
The shoe that fit me best turned out to be an Asics shoe,
which is pretty much the only type of tennis shoe I buy!
 My shoe is super light and super comfortable! Who knew?!
 
 Elizabeth also explained that a running shoe is completely different than a tennis or basketball shoe.
This blew my mind! 
How come I had never heard of this concept?!
Anyway, I love my shoes and they are super comfy.
Elizabeth also introduced me to running apparel layers and how you want to wear nothing cotton pretty much. So I loaded up on some running clothes while I was there too.
$450 dollars later and I am ready to become a running champ! 
(It's ok, I had a personal stash that I was saving for a rainy day)
Yes, it was a little expensive but it was well worth the investment to actually get me started (Plus the clothes are actually really cute too!)
I will likely be purchasing cheaper apparel in the future....maybe. We'll see.

I have found that every time I go out, I enjoy my experience even more.
Plus I learn something I can use for the next time.

Tip #1: Music. Not an absolute necessity (sometimes my phone hasn't worked) but it makes the effort seem less and makes the time fly by. It also  helps you get amped up and get a good pace set.
 Highly recommended!

Tip #2: Track your progress. I use an App on my phone called MapMyRun. It uses GPS to track distance, speed, time and lots more. It stores the info and automatically downloads it to the internet so I can look at my progress effortlessly! Way cool.

Tip #3: Along with having your good shoes you need a good step. Make sure you are running correctly. This means don't heel strike. Land on your midfoot and heel region (more of a flat foot run) and then roll forward onto your toe and step off again. This is huge. It dampens the impact of each step by allowing the foot joint to absorb some of the impact. When you heel strike, the impact goes directly from your heel up to your knee and jars the knee causing pain. When I used to run, my knees and hip would hurt a ridiculous amount but now they don't at all. This has made running much less painful and much more fun.

It's been great and best of all I can do it forever pretty much.
So if you run or start running, let me know! We'll go do a 5k together!

0 comments: