Saturday, May 10, 2008 | By: Sara

Wow...

A whole week is already done. It seemed like just yesterday was my first day.
My rotation is great. I am in the Respiratory Intensive Care Unit (RICU) at the new Intermountain Medical Center in Murray.
My typical day includes:

  1. Waking up at 5:30 in the morning (unless I need to shower, then it is 5:00)
  2. Being to rotation by 7:00
  3. Printing out the 24-hour ICU reports
  4. Visiting all the patients (usually 12) to say hello and record the IV medications they are on
  5. Working up the patients to provide recommendations on changes to medications
  6. Rounds that last anywhere between 1 1/2 to 3 1/2 hours
  7. Fixing problems as they come about
  8. Eating lunch
  9. Topic discussions with my preceptor (Sepsis, Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease, Pulmonary Hypertension, Community Acquired Pneumonia, etc)
  10. Attending Inservice Presentations, Journal Clubs, and Staff Development Meetings
  11. My day ends at about 3:30
  12. ...Then I usually head to work until 11:00 pm...
  13. And repeat for 5 more weeks
I will be responsible for presenting an inservice and a journal club as well.
They feed me a lot too. Monday was employee appreciation day and they provided lunch for everyone. Tuesday I went to a vendor sponsored lunch meeting consisting of some sloppy joe style taco that was difficult to eat gracefully in front of my preceptor (but still oh-so delicious). This week is also "Happy Nurse Week" so Wednesday we had waffles, bacon and fresh fruit for breakfast. Thursday we had home baked chocolate chip cookies during rounds. Friday we had bagels and pastries during rounds ( I had a delicious churro drizzled with a rich creamy icing...breakfast of pharmacists) and an ice cream party for a pharmacist that is leaving. Plus we get free fountain drinks! So...I'm happy when I'm fed!

0 comments: